This was both of ours first time in the Windy City and boy, it did not disappoint! Chicago is known for its gastronomic experiences and those date back to the late 1800’s. They were the leaders in the beef and pork industry, shipping the delicious meat all over the nation. We knew that when we come to Chicago we’ll have to try the famed meats, as well as everything else it now has to offer.
We ended up having an amazing time in Chicago, even though we experienced the true, wild Chicago weather. When we flew in, it was 70F, when we were leaving it was 30F and snowing. Nonetheless, there was plenty to do in Chicago and so much more that we would like to do. We have made a list of 6 must do things when when you visit this beautiful city!
Things to do in Chicago:
- Visit “the Bean”: this is an iconic spot in Chicago. We woke up super early one morning (due to jet lag) so we decided to visit it before the rush. It was cool to see it in person, we didn’t realize how big it is. We loved how the city skyline reflects off of its curves.
2. Willis Tower Skydeck (previously known as Sears tower): Go up to the Skydeck for a 360 view of Chicago. They also have the Ledge which is a glass “box” that hangs off the side of the building. Make sure to go on a clear day or else it will be hard to see the city.
3. Eat your way through Chicago. See the “where to eat” list below, we list the must visit places.
4. Wander downtown and go to the Riverwalk: Chicago is very walk-able and has some amazing architecture. We loved just walking around and seeing the city by foot. The river walk is great too because it has some iconic buildings lining it, steel draw bridges, and beautiful views of the city. We heard that the architecture tour is amazing, and we wish we did it but weather turned and it started snowing, so we didn’t have a chance to go on it.
5. See a game at the Wrigley Field: this baseball field is the 2nd oldest in the nation after Boston. There are also really cute neighborhoods surrounding the park that were fun to wonder.
6. Navy Pier: wander down the Navy Pier, go on the Ferris wheel, and enjoy the view of Lake Michigan.
Where to eat in Chicago:
- STK Chicago: this is an incredible steakhouse with a great hip vibe. They have a DJ that spins every night making it super fun. The food is so delicious, we couldn’t believe some of the things that the chef came up with! If you can, splurge a little and go for the chefs tasting menu and you will have a VIP experience that you will remember forever!
- Maple and Ash: we had Sunday brunch here and it was one of the best we’ve ever had. The décor is beautiful, the food was amazing, and the service was impeccable. Beef Fillets, Salmon, oysters, seafood platters and a plethora of delicious deserts.
- Fig and Olive: This is a beautiful restaurant with delicious steak and seafood. Start our with some of their small plates before your main course, you wont regret it! We loved the gorgeous décor, ambient lighting, and incredible food. Be sure to book in advance because this is one of those places that is a hit with the locals so its always pretty busy.
- Benny’s Chop House: This is a classic Chicago steakhouse serving perfect steaks and seafood. There is a swanky atmosphere here with a live band that made it a great experience!
- Fogo de Chao: This is a Brazilian steakhouse where the gauchos(servers) bring around prime cuts of steak, lamb, pork, chicken and anything else you can think of, and the best part is that its all-you-can-eat! There is also an a la cart menu and a Market Table to accompany the delicious meats. As always the prime cuts of meat and the great service did not disappoint at Fogo de Chao!
- Barrio Chicago: We came here for Saturday brunch and loved it! Its has classic brunch dishes with Spanish twist that made all the food super tasty! The atmosphere was fun, hip and laid back. Its a must visit when you are in Chicago!
- Bodega Imports: this place is right next to Barrio and serves some of the best and most creative churros we’ve ever had! These aren’t your everyday churros, they are topped will all kinds of goodies. We had the Nutella, key lime, and oreo one with their delicious lattes.
- Giorganos: Incredible deepdish pizza. If you come to Chicago you cant leave without trying a slice of deep dish pizza.
Where to stay in Chicago:
- Conrad Chicago: Downtown Chicago Luxury: we loved this ultra comfortable, well serviced hotel! Its in the perfect central location where everything is walking distance, this is a good thing since driving and finding parking in Chicago can be very tough and expensive. The room was large, posh, comfortable, and had great views of the city that we really enjoyed! They also have a great rooftop lounge to hang out on. Click here to book
2. W Chicago Lakeshore: Relaxed Lakefront Luxury: we loved the views from this hotel. Even though it was raining and cold, we loved to sit and look out the window towards Lake Michigan and the Navy Pier. The room was comfortable, clean and hip. This would be the the perfect place to stay in the summer! Click here to book