We did it; we sold our house, our furniture, our cars and left our jobs.. Why?! To chase our dream, well one of them anyway. The dream of traveling the world! The dream of tasting things we never have and going to places that we could only hope to one day. And, we are traveling full time.
Follow us on Instagram at @acouplesworldtour and our YouTube vlog (A Couples World Tour) if you want to see where we go!
How Long? Well, we don’t exactly know. We say 2 months to 2 years because we don’t want to put a restriction on ourselves or force ourselves to travel even if we don’t want to.
When? We left Seattle, WA. USA on April 3rd on a one way ticket to St. Thomas.
How could you put your life on hold? We didn’t.
- For us this is moving forward, to the next season in our life.
- This is a lifetime dream fulfilled, a goal achieved, a milestone reached.
- We’re looking forward to learning new things, and experiencg new cultures. Experiencing the things that we have seen and read about.
Why now? Well besides the fact that we both love to travel and traveling full time was a dream of ours. We thought there was no time like the present to do it.
- Life is short and we can get so caught up in the day-to-day that before we know it another year has gone by, then another, and another!
- Why do tomorrow what you can do today? Why wait till we are 65 and retired and do what we can do now?
- Tomorrow is not promised to anyone! We are only sure about today. We are alive and healthy today. What if we work for a lifetime and then for some reason don’t have the opportunity to travel when we are older.
- Finally, we were really tired of the monotony of life. Doing the same thing over and over, just waiting for the weekend or the next vacation.
How did we do it?
I think the hardest part of pursuing your dream is pulling the trigger. Leaving what you know, who you know, and the comforts you are used to is scary. We get that, but we didn’t want fear to hold us back from living our dream.
- If you always dream but never do, it will make you miserable and drive you crazy.
How about the money? Traveling is expensive. Yes, traveling is expensive and our style of traveling is not hostels and couch surfing. We like to stay comfy and nice, where we are staying along the way is a big part of the travel experience for us.
- We set a goal, we budgeted and we saved until we hit that goal. The key was to live within our means and not live a lifestyle we couldn’t afford. We don’t recommend traveling on credit, it can get you in a very uncomfortable place.
- We sold our stuff (house, furniture, cars) in exchange for experiences. Someone once told me:
“Money can always be made, it’s the time that we can’t get back”.
We firmly believe that!
- We use travel points for flights and hotel stays. We have a very rewarding mileage points card and are signed up for hotel perks. (Look for a blog on this soon!)
How did we pack for a year?!
- Watch the video! Subscribe to our YouTube channel as we will be posting videos from our trip.
- We are also planning to update our wardrobe a little as we go.
Any more questions?
- Feel free to ask in the comments below and we will do our best to answer them!